This is the first layer of the grapefruit half for my "Grapefruit Baby" that's been on hold for months. I can only handle one project at a time when they're not going the way I want them to. Having conquered what I think is the final sculpting obstacle for Birdie's head, I set her aside for the afternoon and tackled this mess. It's the first time I've tried Durham's Rock Hard Putty, and it's kind of fun! This layer has to dry for about 12 hours and I'll give it another coat. Much easier than papier mache, especially since I can't find wallpaper paste in a powder form anymore. Flour is like gold these days, and it's hard to keep the resulting paste from getting moldy if we have too much humidity in the air.
So more on this as I add layers, and also photos of Birdie's head after final sanding, and newly "born" Grapefruit Baby head sculpt as it progresses.
My invitation to you this afternoon is to go find some goo to get your hands in, it's very enlightening!